- Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopic Shoulder Reconstructive Surgery
- Arthroscopic Knee Reconstructive Surgery
- University of California at Los Angeles, Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery, 2009- 2010
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical School Honor Society
- Frank and Mary McDowell Award for Surgery
- Graduated from UC Berkeley with Honors
- Phi Beta Kappa, Honor Society
- Research Fellow, University of Hawaii Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program: 7/05-7/06 Honolulu, HI.
- Designed a biomechanical study investigating the contribution of the deltoid and the coracoacromial arch in providing glenohumeral stability against anterior dislocation. Submitted IRB proposals for projects involving DNA microarrays and differential gene expression of osteoarthritic cartilage.
- Research with Dr. Linda Wong, Dept of Surgery, Institute of Transplantation, St. Francis Medical Center: 7/00-1/01 Honolulu, HI.
- Analyzed data collected from retrospective chart review of 9,427 deaths in Hawaii in 1999 and 2000. Assessed Hawaii’s performance in organ procurement using hospital identification and referral rates of potential organ donors as performance indicators
- Laboratory Manager/Researcher, Prof. Paola S. Timiras, Molecular and Cell Biology Dept, University of California at Berkeley: 11/97-8/99 Berkeley, CA.
- Supervised research of ten undergraduates, helping them to develop their research protocols and training them in various laboratory procedures and techniques. Performed duties as lab safety officer, maintained lab equipment, purchased supplies, and controlled budget. Conducted research on the effects of Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators on C-6 glioma cell activity, maturation, and differentiation.
- Staff Research Associate, BioTime, Inc.: 6/95-12/96 Berkeley, CA.
- Researched the possibilities of organ and tissue preservation at sub-zero temperatures. Performed low-temperature microsurgery on rodents, perfusing their organs and tissues with a cryopreservative, and assessed their level of function following various periods of anoxia at sub-zero temperatures. Actively aided in developing the research protocol.
ABSTRACTS, PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS:
Poster Presentation, The Stabilizing Effect of the Deltoid via Coracoacromial Arch Concavity, Compression, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2009 Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV.
Parsa A, Higashigawa KH, Parsa DF. Arterial Aneurysms of the Hand. Hawaii Medical Journal 2008;67(2):37-40.
Oral Presentation, “Posterior Capsular Contracture and Non-Outlet Impingement Syndrome”, Hawaii Orthopaedic Association 2007 Annual Symposium.
Orthopaedic Grand Rounds, “Metal-on-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty”, Queen’s Medical Center, April 25, 2007, Honolulu, HI.
1st Place Winner of Resident Research Competition, “The Stabilizing Effect of the Deltoid Against Anterior Humeral Head Dislocation via Coracoacromial Arch Concavity Compression”, American College of Surgeons Hawaii Chapter 2005 Summer Meeting.
Oral Presentation, “The Stabilizing Effect of the Deltoid Against Anterior Humeral Head Dislocation via Coracoacromial Arch Concavity Compression”, Hawaii Orthopaedic Association 2005 Annual Symposium.
Higashigawa KH. Chapter X: Surgery, Section 8 – Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis. In: Yamamoto LG, Patrinos ME, Okamoto JK, Inaba AS, Yamashiroya VK (eds). Case Based Pediatrics for Medical Students and Residents. 2004, Bloomington, IN: AuthorHouse Publishing, pp. 394-395.
Higashigawa KH, Carroll C, Wong LL, Wong LM. Organ Donation in Hawaii: Impact of the Final Rule. Clin Transplant 2002;16(3): 180-184.
Oral presentation, “Organ Donation in Hawaii: Impact of the Final Rule”, 20th North American Symposium for Dialysis and Transplantation, Jul 2001.
Higashigawa KH, Carroll C, Wong LL. Organ Procurement 1999-2000: How is Hawaii Doing? Hawaii Medical Journal 2001;60(12): 314-317.
Higashigawa K, Seo A, Sheth N, Tsianos G, Shy H, et al. Chapter 13 – Effects of Estrogens and Thyroid Hormone on Development and Aging of Astrocytes and Oligodendrocytes. In: de Vellis JS (ed). Neuroglia in the Aging Brain. 2002, Totowa, NJ: Humana Press, pp. 245-256.
Higashigawa K, Shy H, Malaiyandi L, Sheth N, Seo A, Timiras PS. Glial Cells: New Partners in BrainEstrogen Interactions. Journal of Neurochemistry 1999;73(Supplement): 870.
Poster presentation, “Effects of Estradiol and Tamoxifen on Growth & Enzyme Activity of GliomaCells”, 12th Biennial Meeting of the International Society for Developmental Neuroscience, Aug 1998.
Sternberg H, Higashigawa K, Kaneshiro A, Waitz HD, Segall PE. Reviving Partially Frozen Hamsters. Experimental Biology 1997, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) abstract